I’m combining 2 recipes just for you. My very favorite tomato sauce recipe from Mad Hungry and my Mom’s meatball recipe. Mmmm. Each made more delicious by sharing a pot with the other. Awesome.
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves (although I usually put more than that!)
- 1/4tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, blended (I always have these on hand now for a quick, easy tomato sauce!)
- a pinch or so of salt
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Pour in a swirl of EVOO. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir for about 30 seconds to release the fragrance and slightly transform from the raw state, not to brown. Add in the blended tomato goodness and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered. While you’re waiting for that to boil, start on your meatballs.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs (store bought, crushed crackers/pretzels/whatever you have)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/4 milk
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan (canned or fresh – I’ve used both)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlis salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Mix everything but the meat together, then mix in the meat. Shape into 1.5 to 2″ balls. Once you have reduced the sauce to a simmer, start forming the balls and placing them around in the sauce. You can gently scootch them apart to place more in the sauce. Simmer 30-45 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Towards the end, boil up some spaghetti. Yum!
This sounds like a lot of work, but it seriously takes me 10-15 minutes to throw together and then it just sits. Awesome. Cooking isn’t my favorite thing, so I love this. And there you have it! Save a little Parm for topping, throw some fresh basil in the sauce at the end if you fancy, etc. Easy peasy. (You’re welcome, my little Kitchen Tutor!)
What are you cooking for dinner tonight?